Saturday, February 14, 2009

Welcome Logan!!

I went to my 37 week appointment and found out I was 3 cm dilated and it could be anytime. I had been having contractions on and off for a few days so I was ready to hear there had been progress.

That evening I had a prenatal massage and was having contractions every 6 minutes. Exhuasted we went to bed. I did not sleep well and woke up about 1:30 to use the bathroom. I climbed back in bed and slept until about 2:15 when I decided to get up and start timing my contractions. They were still not consistent but strong and hard. Much different than my last pregnancy. I thought that I really just needed to use the restroom and kept going to try to poop. Little did I know I was really taking a page from Janel’s book and using the toilet as a birthing stool. I also didn’t realize that what I was feeling was the urge to push.

I woke up Mike around 3 and told him we weren’t in a hurry but we needed to get ready to head to the hospital. I took a shower/ Mike took a shower and we left the house at 4am, We dropped Owen off at the sitter and by the time we got on the road I was having contractions every 2-4 minutes. It took us about 35 minutes to get to the hospital – Mike was driving 95 most of the way because the contractions were coming harder and faster. By the time we got to the hospital I was having constant contractions, one on top of another.

I scared the ER register – I almost had the baby in the ER waiting for the OB nurse. We got to the hospital at 4:55 – I got into L& D at 5am. They checked me and I was at 9 almost complete. I was told to scoot down a little as they were trying to set the room – My water broke at 5:03 and I instantly felt the urge to push. The nurses tried to calm me down as they got an IV started and called the on call dr.

As soon as the dr came in I started pushing. I did about 3 big pushes and Logan was born at 5:16.

My dr walked in about 10 minutes after he was born. I think I got one small stitch – but not real sure – I feel great and was up and about within a half hour of his birth.

He is nursing great, His face is a little bruised from the rapid decent down the birth canal and he has similar spitting up issues as a c-sec baby because he didn’t have time to get the fluid out of his lungs.

Owen loves 'his baby' and we are all doing well

No comments: